By Lesley Hastie
The Ontario government wants more money from the Federal government for health care. Perhaps Doug Ford should have thought of that before he:
- cancelled a cap-and-trade program resulting in $3billion in lost revenue
- in 2020 spent $2.8billion to buy three natural gas plants (erasing 1/3 of the emissions reductions Ontario achieved by phasing out coal)
- gave drivers $1billion by cancelling licence plate renewal fees
- spent over $230 million to cancel 758 renewable energy contracts
- gave Enbridge $234milion to install gas pipelines which when hooked up would cost homeowners and taxpayers over $36,000 per home.(Clean electric air source heat pumps, which also provide air conditioning, would cost half that, with no emissions).
- committed to building Highway 413 at an estimated cost of $8.2 billion and adding to the loss of an estimated 319 acres of farmland every day, equal to one average family farm.
- spent $4million on anti-carbon tax stickers and associated advertising campaign
- promised to spend $30million to fight the price on carbon.
All this money could have been spent on Ontario’s inadequate and underfunded public health system. No surprise then that the federal government cannot trust Doug Ford’s improvident government to spend extra money where it’s so sorely needed.
Don’t miss out on Doppler!
Sign up here to receive our email digest with links to our most recent stories.
Local news in your inbox three times per week!