Officers from the Huntsville Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) conducted a traffic stop on Main St. West town of Huntsville on the 8th of August 2019. Investigation into the driver of the car led to the arrest of a 49-year-old male, Thomas Mortensen, for breach of probation.
Further investigation by Police led to the location of a handgun and Mortensen being charged with the following:
- Possession of Firearm or Ammunition Contrary to Prohibition Order, section 117.01(1) of the Criminal Code.
- Fail to Comply with Probation Order X4, section 733.1(1) of the Criminal Code
- Possession of loaded Prohibited or Restricted Firearm, section 95 (a) of the Criminal Code.
- Careless Storage of Firearm, Weapon, Prohibited Device or Ammunition, section 86(1) of the Criminal Code.
- Possession of Firearm or Ammunition Contrary to Probation Order, section 117.01(1), of the Criminal Code.
- Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm, section 91(1), of the Criminal Code.
- Possession of Property Obtained by Crime Under $5000, section 354(1)(a) of the Criminal Code.
Mortensen was held in custody by Police and scheduled to appear at the Ontario Court of Justice, Bracebridge Ontario on the 9th of August, 2019 for a bail hearing.
Don’t miss out on Doppler!
Sign up here to receive our email digest with links to all of our stories.
Local news in your inbox three times per week!