The Huntsville/Lake of Bays Fire Department responded to a report of two sheds on fire on Hughes Road in Port Sydney shortly before 6 p.m. on Sunday May 12.
Crews were able to contain the fire and prevent it from spreading to the home. The home did however suffer some damage from radiant heat.
It was determined that the homeowner was burning materials in a “burn barrel” when they noticed that the shed had caught fire. It is suspected that burning embers from the barrel caused combustibles beside the shed to ignite. The fire then spread to the second shed.
Damages are estimated at $30,000. There were no injuries.
The fire department would like to remind residents of the provisions in the open-air burning bylaw, which ensures open air burning is conducted safely.
Key highlights of the by-law include:
- NO DAYTIME BURNING. Burning may be conducted between the hours of 6 p.m. and 8 a.m.
- No yard waste may be burned. Yard waste includes, but is not limited to, grass, leaves, hedge trimmings, spent flowers, garden plants, weeds, pine needles hay, straw and sawdust
- Only clean, dry wood may be burned
- Open air burning must be supervised by a competent adult at all times
- A hose or other form of fire extinguishing method must be immediately available when conducting any type of open air burning
- Smoke may not obscure roads or buildings
- Sparks must not travel to adjacent buildings
- Clearly defined minimum distances to combustibles and structures must be maintained
- Fire must be completely extinguished prior to burn site being vacated
Every owner shall ensure that all open air burning on their land complies with the by-law. Failure to comply may result in fines plus costs incurred.
Don’t miss out on Doppler! Sign up for our free newsletter here.