Shortly before 2:00 a.m. on August 23, 2019, members from the Huntsville Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) had set up a RIDE program on Main Street in the Town of Huntsville, when a vehicle drove through and failed to stop for officers.
The suspect vehicle was located abandoned after being involved in a collision with a parked car. The vehicle occupants fled the scene but were located a short distance away by police and transported to an area hospital for treatment of serious injuries.
The driver, Tyler SHAKESPEARE, 32-years old and resident of Bracebridge, was arrested and charged with:
• Dangerous operation of a vehicle causing bodily harm
• Refuse to provide a blood sample
• Fail to stop at a collision scene
• Flight from police
• Possession for the purpose of trafficking in a schedule I controlled substance – Opioid
• Numerous additional Highway Traffic Act offences and regulations
The 24-year-old female passenger and resident of Huntsville remains in hospital suffering serious injury.
The OPP has notified the province’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) and they have invoked their mandate. As a result, the OPP will not be able to provide any further information.
Don’t miss out on Doppler!
Sign up here to receive our email digest with links to our most recent stories.
Local news in your inbox three times per week!