A message from the Town of Huntsville
The Ontario Government announced on October 7th, 2020 a new funding program to help businesses reopen safer, rehire faster and recover from COVID-19.
The Mainstreet Recovery Act is introducing legislation that supports small businesses and helps them innovate and meet the challenges presented by the pandemic.
The Mainstreet Recovery Act includes:
- A one-time grant of up to $1,000 for eligible main street small businesses—in retail, food and accommodations, and other service sectors—with two to nine employees to help offset the unexpected costs of personal protective equipment (PPE);
- Ontario’s Small Business COVID-19 Recovery Network, which links 47 Small Business Enterprise Centres across the province as places where small businesses can access tailored advice and information on local, provincial and federal programs;
- Digital Main Street Squads to help small businesses grow online;
- Mental health supports for families, frontline workers, young people, children, and Indigenous communities;
- Ontario’s Small Business Recovery Webpage to provide single window access to small business supports.
“Small businesses are an essential pillar within Huntsville, and our Town Council will continue to advocate to all levels of government to implement programs that will help them through this challenging time. The recent announcement yesterday regarding the Mainstreet Recovery Act is another example of all levels of government recognizing the difficulties that are currently being faced by small business owners and providing supports to help them overcome the obstacles they are encountering,” said Huntsville Mayor Karin Terziano.
In addition to the program’s initiatives identified above the legislative changes will also include:
- Commit to exploring options to permanently allow licensed restaurants and bars to include alcohol with food as part of a takeout or delivery order before the existing regulation expires;
- Permanently allow 24/7 deliveries to businesses that include retail stores, restaurants, and distribution facilities;
- Support the distribution of local food and food products by increasing the range of products sold at the Ontario Food Terminal;
- Enable Community Net Metering demonstration projects to help support local communities to develop innovative community projects like net-zero or community micro-grids;
- Modernize the Assistive Devices Program;
- Support Ontario’s Taxi and Limousine Industry by increasing fines for illegal operators.
For additional information on the programs available please click HERE
If business owners have any questions related the to the Mainstreet Recovery Act they are encouraged to contact the Town of Huntsville.
Don’t miss out on Doppler!
Sign up here to receive our email digest with links to our most recent stories.
Local news in your inbox three times per week!