On Tuesday May 12, 2020 at approximately 4:35 a.m., officers from the Huntsville Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) attempted to conduct a traffic stop of a pickup truck driving westbound on Highway 60, in the Hidden Valley area of Huntsville. The pickup failed to stop and fled from police.
Eventually the truck came to a stop and the lone male driver exited the pickup and ran. The male was apprehended and the subsequent investigation resulted in the following charges being brought against James RYE, a 53-year-old Huntsville man:
- Flight from Police contrary to section 320.17 of the Criminal Code.
- Theft of a motor vehicle contrary to section 333.1 of the Criminal Code.
- Mischief to property contrary to section 430 (1)(a) of the Criminal Code.
- Possession of break in instruments contrary to section 351 (1) of the Criminal Code.
- Two counts of possession of property obtained by crime under $5000 contrary to section 354 (1)(a) of the Criminal Code of Canada.
- Two counts of fail to comply with Probation Order contrary to section 733.1(1) of the Criminal Code of Canada.
- Fail to comply with Release Order contrary to section 145 (5)(a) of the Criminal Code of Canada.
- Fail to comply with Undertaking contrary to section 145 (4)(a) of the Criminal Code of Canada.
- Possession of a Schedule I Substance-Cocaine contrary to section 4(1) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act.
RYE is being held for a bail hearing scheduled May 12, 2020.
Huntsville OPP remains committed to ensuring Ontario roads are safe from alcohol-impaired and drug-impaired drivers. The OPP is reminding drivers that no amount of alcohol or drugs in your system is safe when operating a motor vehicle.
Don’t miss out on Doppler!
Sign up here to receive our email digest with links to our most recent stories.
Local news in your inbox three times per week!