Submitted by Muskoka Algonquin Healthcare
Muskoka Algonquin Healthcare (MAHC) is pleased to reintroduce essential visitation for inpatients by their Designated or Alternate Care Partner during set visiting hours while adhering to strict visiting requirements.
Eligible inpatients may select one Designated Care Partner and one Alternate Care Partner who remain the same for the duration of their hospital stay. All inpatients are swabbed for COVID-19 on admission. Visiting may commence after the inpatient has received a negative COVID-19 swab result. Only one care partner may visit per day between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. The alternate may visit when the Designated Care Partner is unable to visit.
Visitation must follow MAHC’s requirements to reduce risks associated with the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. All Designated Care Partners must:
- Screen negative for COVID-19 upon entering the hospital
- Provide a phone number for contact tracing, if it is necessary
- Go directly to the inpatient’s room and refrain from travelling around other parts of the hospital
- Wear their hospital-issued ‘visitor’ sticker at all times
- Wear a hospital-issued mask for the entire visit
- Wear additional protective equipment, if necessary
- Refrain from eating or drinking while visiting so that their mask is always on
- Ensure the patient wears a mask while the visitor is present
- Clean their hands often to reduce the risk of infection
- Maintain two metres (six feet) distance from others at all times
- Refrain from leaving and returning to the hospital (no re-entry) during the visit
“Family presence is an important part of patient-centred care at MAHC,” says CEO Natalie Bubela. “We are allowing this essential visiting as a means of balancing the importance of reuniting inpatients with a loved one and protecting the safety of all patients and staff. As open visitation has not resumed, we regret that visitors are not permitted for outpatients except for special circumstances where a support person is necessary.”
As the pandemic continues, should the community level of COVID-19 risk increase or MAHC’s personal protective equipment supplies become strained, visitor restrictions may be initiated once again.
Don’t miss out on Doppler!
Sign up here to receive our email digest with links to our most recent stories.
Local news in your inbox three times per week!