A message from the District of Muskoka
Residents in Muskoka are advised of waste collection changes due to COVID-19. The District of Muskoka’s priority is to maintain waste collection services, while taking extra precautions to protect the health of essential workers and the needs of our community.
Although waste facilities remain open, the District is requesting that residents postpone non-essential trips and only drop off waste when absolutely necessary. If you are self-isolating, stay home per direction from Public Health officials. Please hold onto items and avoid unnecessary ‘spring cleaning’ during this time.
Secure your material.
- Garbage must be securely contained in a garbage bag, tied and sealed. Loose garbage inside cans and roadside bins will not be collected.
- Recycling still must be sorted. If using bags, clear/transparent bags must be tied and sealed. Blue boxes continue to be collected but please secure materials, don’t overflow boxes, and stack them to prevent litter.
- Organics must be bagged in compostable bags, tied and sealed inside green bins.
Take care of our crews.
- Only set out what you need to. Bi-weekly bag and weight limits are still being enforced.
- Practice physical distancing by not approaching the collection vehicle or operator (smiles and waves are always welcome!)
Take extra precaution when disposing of certain items.
- If you or someone in your household is sick or are self-isolating, place used tissues, paper napkins and paper towels in a bag and dispose of them in the garbage.
- Place face masks and protective gloves in the garbage.
At waste drop-off facilities:
Take care of staff and our community.
- Use waste facilities (including unsupervised bin sites) at your own risk.
- Essential visits only.
- Follow Public Health instructions on hand washing/sanitizing after visits.
- Maintain physical distancing of at least 2 metres at all times while on-site.
- Cashless payments only.
Be prepared for changes.
- All reuse buildings are closed.
- Ridout (Dorset) Transfer Station is temporarily closed.
- Blue box exchange program is temporarily suspended.
- Household Hazardous Waste program temporarily closed – hold onto household hazardous waste and do not put this into the garbage or down the drain.
- Collection of donations via community drop-off bins is suspended.
- Bin site users are asked to visit www.engagemuskoka.ca for updates.
These simple but important measures will help protect your family and our community. The District’s waste management team is monitoring this rapidly evolving situation and will advise on changes, if necessary. We thank our community for their support and patience at this time.
For the latest updates on all District program and service impacts, and to learn more about the actions taken in response to COVID-19, visit www.muskoka.on.ca/coronavirus
Don’t miss out on Doppler!
Sign up here to receive our email digest with links to our most recent stories.
Local news in your inbox three times per week!