To assist Hospice Huntsville during the financially stressful times brought on by COVOD-19, the Rotary Club of Huntsville Evening Satellite Club organized a facelift for the organization’s residential hospice, Algonquin Grace.
More than 20 Rotarians offered to paint the building this weekend, with supplies donated by Koop Painting & Design.
Due to sun damage, the front of Algonquin Grace was in need of beautification. Rotarians painted the entire front, sanded down the timbers and stained them. It’s the first time changes have been made to the building since it opened in 2012.
The idea for this project was hatched a few months ago but they wanted to wait for sunnier, warmer weather so the paint could dry better.
“I love my community and I love Rotary, giving back comes naturally to me,” said Jennifer Jerrett, club chair. “This was a project that fit our mandate as a club, was easy to do with physical distancing, and of course is such a worthy cause.”
Another sponsor was Northern Disposal and Sanitation who donated a portable toilet for the volunteers to use as Algonquin Grace’s doors are locked due to COVID-19 protocols.
Hospice Huntsville is only 40 per cent government funded which means the other 60 per cent of its operating budget needs to come from other sources. They rely on the community for approximately $658,000 in donations each year.
“Community service initiatives like what Rotary did are so important to us as we have added pressure to raise funds due to COVID-19,” said Bev Lashbrook, executive director at Hospice Huntsville. “This initiative allowed us to direct our donor-funded money towards direct care and provide quality end of life. Most of our events happen in spring and our budget is based on the money these events pull in, which didn’t happen.”
The annual Swim for Hospice and Hike for Hospice have been tentatively planned for August and October, but can’t be confirmed as happening yet. If you want to take part in or donate towards these events, visit Hospice Huntsville’s website.
Hospice gratefully accepts donations online, or you can call to arrange to drop a donation off at Algonquin Grace.
The Rotary Club of Huntsville Evening Satellite Club is always open to ideas for helping the community. If you have any suggestions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Don’t miss out on Doppler!
Sign up here to receive our email digest with links to our most recent stories.
Local news in your inbox three times per week!