Fire Prevention Week is October 4-10, 2015. The Huntsville/Lake of Bays Fire Department is encouraging everyone to hear the beep where you sleep and install a working smoke alarm in every bedroom.
“Many fatal fires occur at night when everyone is asleep, so early warning is crucial to survival,” says Fire Chief Stephen Hernen. “The Ontario Fire Code requires working smoke alarms on every storey of the home and outside all sleeping areas. For added protection, our fire department is recommending that you also install a smoke alarm in every bedroom.”
“In a fire, seconds count; home smoke alarms can alert people to a fire before it spreads, giving everyone enough time to get out,” added Chief Hernen.
This year’s Fire Prevention Week campaign includes the following smoke alarm messages:
- Install smoke alarms on every storey and outside sleeping areas.
- For added protection, the fire service recommends installing smoke alarms in each bedroom.
- Test alarms at least monthly by pushing the test button.
- Replace all smoke alarms when they are 10 years old or sooner if they don’t respond properly.
- Change the batteries at least once a year.
- Make sure everyone in the home knows the sound of the smoke alarm and understands what to do when they hear it.
- If the smoke alarm sounds, get outside and stay outside. Go to your outside meeting place.