The District of Muskoka has become aware that there are individuals representing themselves as water treatment equipment salespersons, attempting to gain access into residents’ homes. These individuals, going door-to-door, imply they would like to check or sell water valves and other related equipment.
The District of Muskoka would like to remind residents that District employees do not go door to door soliciting these services. If someone shows up at your door, remember the following to protect yourself from scams:
- Ask for identification. All District employees and authorized Contractors by the District are clearly identified as such, and carry an official letter confirming the visit.
- Did you request a house call? District staff will not visit without a prior appointment, unless a concern presents itself. If this occurs, the District will never sell anything to homeowners.
- Call the District of Muskoka Public Works Department at 705-645-6764 to confirm the visit is legitimate, or if you have any questions or concerns.
- Don’t feel pressured to sign contracts or papers on the spot.
- Never give out your personal information.
Residents should be aware that The District of Muskoka has established a Residential Meter Replacement Program in partnership with its approved contractor, to replace meters in homes at no charge to residents who require them. Before the District, or approved Contractor arrive, residents will receive an official notice from the District of Muskoka, advising them of the upcoming water meter replacement and requesting the homeowner contact the District directly to schedule a time that is convenient. District employees, or the approved Contractor will arrive on the arranged date; they are uniformed, identify themselves, and are highly skilled to ensure a professional installation.
Don’t miss out on Doppler! Sign up for our free, twice-weekly newsletter here.