This calendar is reserved for non-commercial community events. What does that mean? Your event must be free or of nominal cost, available to anyone (although adult-only events are fine), and not for profit (but we do make an exception for artists showing their work who would profit from any sales made and musicians hosting small-scale concerts). Not sure if your event fits? Drop us a line at [email protected] to check, or go ahead and submit anyhow – submissions are moderated and we’ll approve yours if it fits our criteria. Thanks for helping to make Huntsville a vibrant community!
- This event has passed.
Climate Change in Muskoka: What to expect and what we can do about it
June 15 @ 1:00 pm - 4:00 pmBy donation
Climate Change in Muskoka and Parry Sound: What to expect and what we can do about it will feature keynote speaker Dr. Peter Sale, co-author of Planning for Climate Change in Muskoka, followed by speed dating-style Table Talks with other local experts and community leaders in the field of climate action.
Speakers will include the voices of those most vulnerable in our community. The Table Talk segments will offer participants a choice of topics addressing local effects of climate change, reducing our carbon footprint or understanding larger issues. Each mini-session will include a question and answer period.
The event will be held at the Active Living Centre in Huntsville on Saturday, June 15 from 1- 4 p.m. Admission is by donation. Everyone is invited and organizers ask everyone to bring their own water bottle. Click here for more information and to register to guarantee your space. Walk-ins are welcome, space permitting.
Keynote speaker: Dr. Peter Sale, co-author of Planning for Climate Change in Muskoka
Table Talks (small, group, round-table presentations with Q&A):
Preparing for local effects
- Protecting Our Watershed – Kevin Trimble
- Forest Sustainability – Tom Clark
- The Wood Ash Project – Dr. Norman Yan
- Role of Local Industry and Business – Moreen Miller
Reducing our own carbon footprints
- Sourcing Our Food Locally – Keri-Lyn Freebird
- Aquaculture, Aguanure and Vertical Growing – Matt Richter
- Building Green and Affordable – Rick Zytaruk
- Eliminating Single Use Plastic – Christina Hunter and Deserae Doolittle
Understanding larger issues
- Myths and Truths About Carbon Pricing – Arleigh Luckett
- A Just Transition for Canada – Dr. Gordon Laxer
- Vulnerable Voices – Barriers to Participation – Lived Experience Speaker
- A Student Perspective – Huntsville High School Eco Club